Saint Luis Rey Serie A - 25 Cigars [5.6 x 46]
The Saint Luis Rey Serie A is too often overlooked by Corona Gorda aficionados. It is right next to an H Upmann 46, it offers very refined and always balanced flavors.
- • Complex cigar, with woodsy, smoky and earthy flavors. Lots of spice and freshness of green fruits.
- • Ages very well. Enjoyable both young and aged.
In summary, simply a great cigar that is a must try for all Corona Gorda lovers.
Saint Luis Rey Serie A - 25 Cigars comes in a dress box with Habanos Packing Code CB-UW-C/L-12,13-n-25
Length: 143 mm
Diameter: 18.26 mm
Ring gauge: 46
Shape: Corona Gorda
Good construction on the cigar. The triple cap is beautifully applied, it is perfectly rolled and the foot looks bunched superbly. The wrapper has a nice chocolate brown color, between Colorado Claro or Colorado, and a beautiful oily sheen. Moderate tiny veins, with small bumps through the wrapper and a beautiful modest box press, with 4 clear sides. Hard to the touch from head to foot when pinching the cigar.
Before lighting up
The foot smells of cinnamon, chocolate, hay, citrus and cedar. Some spicy aromas are also present, also some leather and floral side to it.
The cigar cuts perfectly, the draw is perfect, a nice and fresh cold draw. Easy lit, the cigar burns with on a nice clear line. The cigar creates a good amount of silky smoke that tastes of cedar and that is never bitter or too hot. The ash holds on strong and has kind of the same brown color as the wrapper.
The first third of the cigar is beautiful with a great complexity. The dominant flavors are of dry hay, smoked cedar, leather and coffee. There are also lots of freshness from green fruits, some nice notes of sweet cinnamon, tobacco, and toasted bread. Overall, the first third is very round and smooth, a classic medium. Not sour, nor sweetness, just enough zing of spice from white pepper.
In the middle third, the complexity remains, the dominant flavors are of cedar, earth, wood and a great amount of pepper, some white pepper, cayenne pepper. There are also lots of caramel flavors in the mouth and some smoky aromas. There also some notes of honey, chocolate, coffee and still some freshness from green fruits. Overall, the middle of the cigar is getting stronger, whereas still being a medium body, it doesn’t have rough edges. It is creamy and thick in mouth.
In the final third, the dominant flavors are of earth, coffee, and chocolate. There are lots of sweet flavors, of sugar cane, vanilla. There are also notes of charred tobacco, of mint and anise. The final of the cigar is very spicy, the cayenne pepper comes back in full blown. Overall, in the last third, the cigar is stronger, but not overwhelming, between medium body and full body.
In summary, it is a great cigar that offers lots of complexity but maintaining a great balance of tastes and strength at all time. A cigar that every Cuban aficionado ought to have in its humidor.
50 - 90 Minutes
|Brand||Saint Luis Rey|
|Length||5.6 inches (143 mm)|
|Factory Shape||Corona Gorda|
|Strength||Medium - Full|
- took about 7 business days to arrive, great smoke, great in the morning with coffee
By El Fumador
Good corona gorda
- Medium strength and creamy. Good break from more powerful cigars if you want a chilled and easy smoke.
great cigar in the early evenings
- good wrapper, great looking, good taste all the way, was a bit tight in the beginning, but worked it out. would buy again
By El Fumador
Nice comfortable smoke
- Not the fancy powerhouse but a very comfortable smoke great for late afternoon or evening. Characteristically different taste than the newer Habanos blends. Great smoke at a great price.
- Mild to bold taste with excellent draw, great earthy tones in the aroma and a wonderful leathery taste. Beautiful cigar for the money. A great value.